Website Urban Systems Ltd.
Spirit in Service for Vibrant Communities
We are currently looking for a full-time Civil Engineering Technician/Technologist to join our thriving Surrey branch. Our Surrey team serves a diverse client base from the Fraser Valley to Metro Vancouver and includes various levels of government, private developers and Indigenous communities. This position will primarily focus on efforts within our transportation practice, providing design expertise and support on urban roads, active transportation, transit facilities, highways, and interchange design projects from concept through to functional and detailed design. This position offers many opportunities including:
- Hands-on alignment, profile and corridor design and production support on projects across the breadth of Urban Systems transportation practice:
- Major Highway and Transit-focused Design-Build projects across Canada,
- All phases of design (Preliminary, Concept, Functional and Detailed) for Provincial Highway and interchange improvement projects,
- Urban Streets, focusing on a Complete Streets approach to multi-modal transportation design, both for new connections and redesign of existing streets and networks,
- Improvements to Active Transportation Infrastructure, including innovative approaches to designing AAA cycling facilities
- Becoming a proficient designer and drafter using various software packages (AutoCAD, Civil 3D, OpenRoads, SketchUp) in conjunction with Federal, Provincial and Municipal design standards.
- Potential for steep career growth, where your ability to consistently produce results is rewarded with increased responsibility and opportunities regardless of your title or position,
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things,
- Challenging and rewarding work alongside seasoned veterans and recent graduates alike, and
- The support of a career coach who will help you gain experience across the breadth of our multidisciplinary practice.
Currently located in the Surrey City Centre area, our office enjoys easy access to the Gateway Skytrain Station*, public transit, proximity to our clients and significantly reduced commute time for employees living south of the Fraser River and east Metro Vancouver. Our Surrey operations, with 23 employees, are looking to round out our team with a capable and enthusiastic individual who will be a positive, contributing member in establishing our growing office.
*Note: Due to our growth, it is noted that our office will also be moving to the new LEED Gold building at 9900 King George Boulevard (The Hub at the King George Skytrain Station) in February 2018, providing an even more convenient access to amenities, transit, a free onsite gym, and bicycle storage.)
We are seeking a civil engineering technician/technologist with a keen eye for detail, a willingness to learn and a passion for transportation projects of all shapes and sizes. To this end, the ideal candidate has some prior experience in the Civil transportation field and is a recent graduate of a Civil Engineering Technology program with up to 4 years of related work experience. We are looking for the following skills, strengths and interests:
- Registered or eligible for registration with Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of BC
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and civil design software including Civil 3D (required)
- Excellent drafting skills with good knowledge of drawing set-up and production
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and other MS Office software products
- Field experience is considered an asset
- Effective communication and writing abilities
- Ability to produce high quality work under changing circumstances
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively with others
- Committed to ongoing personal and professional development
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of 400 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: Friday, March 9, 2018