A career at TransLink and our family of companies means working with people with a wide range of skills and perspectives, all teaming up towards a common goal: preserving and enhancing the region’s world-envied quality of life. Together, we connect the region and enhance its livability by providing a sustainable transit and transportation network, embraced by our communities and people. At TransLink we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live. We’re committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace, recognizing the unique value and skills every individual brings. Looking for a great place to work where your contributions are valued and you can make a difference in a vibrant city? At TransLink, one of BC’s Top Employers, you’ll help make Metro Vancouver a better place to live.
Translink is currently looking for a Vice President, Engineering to lead a centre of excellence for the provision of engineering, design and project management expertise to deliver successful management and implementation of assigned capital projects and programs across the TransLink enterprise.
The role manages regional major road network programs and administration of capital and operating funding agreements with municipalities; and also manages operations, maintenance, rehabilitation and capital improvements to TransLink owned structures (i.e. roads, bridges, and cycling facilities).
Leads a center of excellence for the provision of engineering, design and project management expertise to deliver successful management and implementation of assigned capital projects and programs across the TransLink enterprise. Manages regional major road network programs and administration of capital and operating funding agreements with municipalities; and also manages operations, maintenance, rehabilitation and capital improvements to TransLink owned structures (i.e. roads, bridges, and cycling facilities).
– Engages with the TransLink executive team in enterprise-wide strategic planning for capital projects, including major projects, and ensures project management best practices; is directly accountable to the Board of Directors on success of capital projects. Provides advice and information to the Board, upon which critical decisions will be based.
– Translates the organization’s strategic direction into broad divisional strategies with accountability for
enterprise-wide integration and alignment. Approves and monitors targets & measures for the achievement of divisional goals.
– Leads with full authority over approved budget, schedule, scope, procurement, and purchase/sale of property for capital projects. Delegates appropriate signing and contracting authority to project and program managers as per corporate policy to effect successful project implementation.
– Provides senior leadership to project and program managers as well as recognized experts, ensuring projects and programs are managed to fixed budgets, scope and schedules, and that all necessary processes for monitoring, controlling and measuring cost and progress are implemented.
– Represents the TransLink enterprise in the development of positive and productive relationships with key stakeholders, including government, business, public, customers and others. Also manages project/program-related satisfaction surveys, ensuring satisfaction of municipalities, project sponsors, and other key stakeholders.
– Identifies and quantifies project risks, creates risk registries to manage contingency account, and ensures risk management and mitigation processes are implemented. Alerts the executive team and Board of Directors to critical risks and opportunities, recommending strategic action that may impact achievement of broad, enterprise-wide results.
– Positions division for operational efficiency and effectiveness through implementation of innovative practices, processes and systems, and also ensures compliance with all relevant legislation, acts and regulations.
– Leads development and oversight of divisional budget, ensuring cost efficiency, adherence to plans, and alignment to financial objectives of the TransLink enterprise.
– Provides broad direction and management of senior level professionals such as Directors, Senior Project Managers and Professional Engineers. Provides coaching, development and performance management for reporting leaders, and also oversees all divisional practices, ensuring adherence to best practice in people management.
Education and Experience
The requirements for this job are typically acquired through a degree in engineering, plus achievement of a professional engineering designation and 15+ years of progressively responsible leadership experience for the most complex engineering projects and programs, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Expert knowledge of the theories, concepts, practices and methods of engineering
– Expert project management skills with ability to provide senior leadership to multiple concurrent, large, complex capital projects; knowledge of project delivery models, including public and private partnerships; and demonstrated ability to successfully manage and negotiate commercial agreements
– Expert strategic planning skills, with ability to also establish effective targets and measures, and monitor
achievement of results
– Expert leadership skills with ability to direct, coach, develop and manage performance of reporting leaders, and to influence others at all levels across the TransLink enterprise
– Expert interpersonal, communication, negotiation and consensus building skills, with ability to provide significant contributions at the executive team and Board levels, and to address the highest level of sensitive and political challenges, both inside and outside the organization.
– Expert business acumen, with an understanding of financial principles
– Expert problem-solving and decision-making skills, with ability to diagnose and make recommendations on the
organization’s most critical issues
– Ability to travel and represent the organization at various association and industry conferences
– Alignment to TransLink’s Executive Competencies
How to apply
INSTRUCTIONS: Please save your (1) cover letter, and your (2) resume as one PDF document prior to uploading your application on-line via Indeed at: https://ca.indeed.com/job/vice-president-engineering-a5aaec8b4aa77aa3. If you are a current employee of TransLink, Coast Mountain Bus Company, BC Rapid Transit Company, or Transit Police, please apply internally.
RECRUITMENT PROCESS: An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario and behavioural descriptive interview questions.
Questions regarding this competition can be directed to the email address provided.
The Total Compensation Package includes Extended Health, Transit Pass and enrollment in the Public Service Pension Plan upon eligibility. Focus on your development through training, and mentorship programs. Enjoy a variety of health and wellness programs, including access to gym facilities. Speak to us to know more about what we offer.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.