Website Town of Ajax
Reporting to the Supervisor of Transportation, the Senior Transportation Technologist coordinates and participates in the evaluation, recommendation and implementation of municipal traffic controls to facilitate the safe and efficient vehicular and pedestrian movement throughout the Town of Ajax.
· Oversees the traffic calming initiatives to ensure effective traffic management through the Town’s Traffic Calming Warrant program.
· Assists in analyzing the merit and appropriateness of traffic calming on a road segment and provides recommendations to Council on priority projects that can be accommodated under the traffic calming budget.
· Serves as Project Manager for the evaluation, project selection, design implementation, completion within the approved budget and garnering public support of traffic calming projects.
· Oversees the review and commentary on development applications (official plan amendments, plans of subdivision, zoning by-law amendments, and site plans) with respect to traffic impacts, traffic circulation, parking, access, transportation demand management and active transportation.
· Assists with preparing staff reports and recommendations to Community Affairs and Planning Committee, General Government Committee and Council as necessary.
· Assists with the review and processing of traffic related complaints and enquiries through direction response, instructions to other departments and or agencies.
· Responds to resident and Council inquiries related to traffic control, speeding, school safety and parking restriction.
· Assists with completing research and undertaking special projects, development of transportation strategies, proposals and action plans related to the Town’s Strategic Action Plan or Council Motions.
· Assists with the preparation of presentations to committees, public open house meetings and consultation with stakeholders.
· Evaluates the effectiveness of municipal traffic controls by carrying out detailed analyses and studies.
· Relevant University degree (Engineering or Planning) or College diploma (3 Years College diploma in Transportation Engineering Technology or Civil Engineering Technology) or a combination of education and experience deemed equivalent
· Minimum 5 years of experience with traffic analysis and reporting, technical advice, plan interpretation and approval, liaising with the public, stakeholders, committees/agencies, and Council
· Holding, in good standing, applicable professional designations (P.Eng., RPP, C.E.T.)
· Excellent communication skills: proven ability to prepare clear written reports and strong presentations to diverse audiences include the public and Council.
· Excellent numerical skills: mathematics, reviewing numbers, engineering design calculations and security requirement calculations.
· Excellent technical ability: working with computers, spreadsheets and word processing, traffic counters, AutoCAD and GIS.
· Excellent analytical skills: ability to review various aspects of projects individually and as part of a whole project.
· Excellent research skills: ability to review Technical Reports, exhaust all sources of information to gain full project knowledge.
· Excellent administrative skills: for preparing reviews, approvals and final acceptance.
· Good reasoning skills: practical application of Provincial, Regional and Town engineering standards and good engineering practices.
· Strong ability to problem solve, seek information from diverse sources and recommend innovative solutions.
· Proven ability to work with minimal supervision.
· Establishes and maintains open lines of communication with Council, departmental staff, other Town staff, Durham Region Staff, outside agencies and consultants.
· You may be required to supply a current criminal reference check with judicial matters check that is satisfactory to the Town of Ajax
Hours of Work & Duration of Contract:
This 1-year contract position is a non-union position and works a 35 hour work week Monday to Friday and may be scheduled to work up to 6 Saturdays per year.
Deadline to Apply:
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please visit www.ajax.ca/careers and click on the Employment Opportunities page. The closing date is 11:59 p.m. on June 17, 2021.
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources staff of any accommodation you may require the process.