THE REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY OF DURHAM
Project Engineer (Regular Full-Time)
Job ID: 15320
Open: June 9, 2022 Close: July 8, 2022
The Region of Durham is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion within its community and organization, and strongly welcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, women, persons who live with disabilities, people from 2SLGBTQI+ communities and people from diverse communities.
In accordance with the AODA Act, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities.
This position is located at 101 Consumers Drive, Whitby, Ontario.
Project Engineer-Traffic Engineering & Operations
This position liaises between the Project Manager and technical disciplines to provide professional engineering and project management services for the Traffic Engineering and Operations Division through planning, coordination, approval and contract management of traffic signal, street lighting and intersection design, road safety, development, modernization and intelligent transportation system projects in support of the Region’s Capital Road Program and various Regional or recoverable operating accounts, including external projects. Reporting to the Project Manger, the incumbent will:
- Design, approve and be responsible for contract/project management of various capital projects by collaborating with project managers and organizing, assigning, reviewing, monitoring and approving the work of consultants and technical staff
- Use sound engineering judgement to provide safe, efficient, cost-effective, accessible, and environmentally respectful intersection and signal/street lighting designs, traffic signal/system equipment and road safety initiatives that ensure public safety and safeguards the Region and others from potential liability
- Review consultant reports, technical system/communications documents, development submissions, preliminary and final design drawings including construction staging and documents to ensure consistency and adherence to standards, procedures, policy, by-laws, and best practices
- Plan, assess, recommend and establish short, medium and long term forecast needs for design, or road safety, ITS or lighting improvements along the Region’s road network to improve public safety and operational efficiency
- Evaluate, assess, respond and represent the Region on environmental assessments, planning/design and development reports and related traffic engineering requirements for major transportation design/development/modernization projects
- Act as the Regional expert and respond to Works Committee, local and Regional Councils, internal/external stakeholders, the media and matters of litigation through the preparation of reports, presentations, witness statements and meetings
- Supervise and coordinate project staff, contractors, and consultants
The successful incumbent will possess:
- A four-year degree in Civil or Electrical/Electronic Engineering, specializing in traffic/transportation
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer with the Professional Engineers of Ontario
- Extensive practical experience in a traffic engineering and operations environment
- Knowledge of traffic engineering and operations principles, project management and value engineering, Environmental Assessment Act, Municipal Act, Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Highway Traffic Act, Ontario Health and Safety Act, and Ontario Traffic Manuals
- Project management and leadership skills including leadership of staff, consultants, vendors and contractors
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook), Synchro, AutoCAD, and various traffic engineering software
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, written and verbal communication skills as well as strategic planning and conceptual thinking skills
- Strong organization and time management skills with political awareness and professional tact
- A valid Ontario Class G Driver’s Licence
Management & Exempt Salary Grade 6
- Salary: $94,590 to $118,238 per annum
Conditions of Employment
Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will be required prior to start date.
In addition, all Region of Durham employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the Region’s Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Policy.
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please apply online https://bit.ly/3oh1IiK no later than midnight (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Recruiter will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region’s Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.
Follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/regionofdurham Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/regionofdurham
To apply for this job please visit recruitregion.durham.ca.