Website Ontario Ministry of Transportation
Do you have an interest and expertise in multimodal transportation modelling, travel demand forecasting, and analytics to support long-range transportation planning?
Do you have knowledge of software and programming languages related to transportation data analysis and modelling?
Consider this exciting and challenging opportunity to bring your modelling and analytical skills to the Ministry of Transportation’s Planning Branch.
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits which include adoptive parents
• Comprehensive Health Plan
• Life and Disability insurance
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• On-the-job training to support your success in the role
The OPS has been recognized as a top employer. We are proud to have been acknowledged as one of:
• Canada’s Top 100 Employers
• Canada’s Best Diversity Employers
• Canada’s Greenest Employers
• Canada’s Top Employers for Young People
In this position, you will:
• support the development, calibration, validation, and application of multimodal transportation models and travel demand forecasting
• run multimodal transportation models, including developing quality control measures and analysis of large datasets and results
• apply data analytics and use programming languages related to statistical analysis to support transportation analytics, open data and modelling
• conduct studies involving transportation performance assessments, data collection, trend analysis and travel demand forecasting
• present results of analysis to a range of technical and non-technical staff, and senior management to support evidence-based planning
• participate in major planning and policy projects, prepare project terms of reference, reports, and discussion papers on major transportation planning issues
Please note that this competition may be used to fill future vacancies over the next 14 months.
How do I qualify?
• You have knowledge of transportation demand modelling and transportation system performance analysis.
• You have demonstrated experience in the application of statistical methods, and visualization/analysis of large datasets, including quality control, and in applying these tools to provide insight on transportation issues.
• You have research and analytical skills to conduct transportation benefits and socio-economic analyses.
Computer proficiency and programming skills:
• You have advanced proficiency in using common office productivity software.
• You have knowledge of common transportation modelling software, such as EMME and TransCAD, and associated programming languages.
• You have practical knowledge of GIS applications (e.g., Esri ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS online).
Communication and interpersonal skills:
• You can communicate the results of technical analysis effectively to senior management, external stakeholders and non-expert audiences.
• You can build and maintain strong relationships with various stakeholders.
• You have proven written and verbal communication skills to prepare reports and analyses.
Project management skills:
• You can plan and lead projects, set priorities, and coordinate project activities with partners.
• You are able to use sound judgment when consulting with stakeholders to develop new data sharing and analysis partnerships.
Salary Range: $1,365.28 – $1,752.97 per week
• 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months (with possibility of extension), 777 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region
Please apply online, only, by Tuesday, November 19, 2019, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 140984 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.