Transportation / Public Service
Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario and our goal is to create a transportation network that enhances the prosperity, sustainability and quality of life for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. It leads the planning in the region with its Regional Transportation Plan that guides the work and investments of the organization. It builds light transit, bus rapid transit and Regional Express Rail and operates GO Transit, UP Express and PRESTO.
Our Research & Planning Analytics Office is seeking an Analyst, Modelling & Geomatics to conduct technical transportation analysis that supports corporate business objectives and long-term planning that furthers the development and implementation of the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA).
- Conducts technical analysis and research that provides critical inputs to the transportation systems and policy planning, project appraisal, infrastructure delivery, and strategic business decisions that support the RTP, corporate planning, and the assessment of transportation infrastructure, transit service, and policy initiatives.
- Maintains, selects, and applies computer-based analytical tools (e.g. travel demand models, statistical models, spreadsheets, databases, and Geographic Information Systems) to support:
-Evidence-based assessment and analysis of transportation planning issues and proposals
-Forecasting of transit ridership, demand patterns, network impacts, and benefits in response to growth, changing markets, policies, service changes, and infrastructure projects/plans
Collection, tabulation, trend analysis, and visualization of complex and large datasets
-Obtains support, shares information, and works closely with internal and external stakeholders (e.g. municipal partners, provincial ministries, and other advisory groups) to achieve Metrolinx corporate objectives and to define, implement, and monitor projects, policies, programs, guidelines, standards, and other initiatives.
-Reviews and prepares corporate responses to studies, contracts, work scopes, projects, and other proposals by internal and external stakeholders, providing relevant technical commentary, recommendations, and advice.
-Formulates, evaluates, documents, and presents data analysis, research, and forecasting proposals, results, and associated recommendations for Senior Advisor, Management and/or Board approval and consideration.
Location: 97 Front Street West, Toronto
- Completion of a degree in Urban and Regional Transportation Planning, Engineering, Land Use Planning, Mathematics, Data Science, or related field or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in transportation planning, preferably in the public sector
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in data science, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), or other fields with a strong emphasis on quantitatively based data analysis is an asset.
- Proven analytical skills with practical experience in technical analysis, undertaking literature and best practice reviews, and conducting internet and survey research using supporting spreadsheets and database applications.
- Interpersonal and oral/written communication and consultation skills to develop and present research findings and analyses and obtain cooperation with stakeholders and clients.
- Practical experience with transportation demand modelling software (e.g. EMME, TransCAD, VISUM), statistical analysis software (e.g. STATA, SAS, R), GIS software (e.g. ArcGIS), and/or computer programming languages (e.g. Python) is a significant asset.
- Knowledge of the theory, principles, research methodologies, and practices of transportation modelling, transportation planning and policy analysis is an asset.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online, no later than November 26, 2018.
Please be advised, Metrolinx uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Search may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER