Website ISL Engineering and Land Services Ltd.
If you have a passion to address the evolving transportation needs of our clients, we won’t hold you back! Crafting creative solutions to transportation problems and supporting our municipal and provincial client needs to manage their evolving transportation challenges, the Senior Transportation Designer will support the team to advance the Transportation Design discipline at ISL. From the design process and mentoring to relationships and professional development, this role ensures that no two days are the same. If this sounds interesting, we want to hear from you!
A Little About Us
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, and their support teams that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community. We work hard and play hard because that is what #ISLLIFE is all about! Check us out on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
ISL’s Calgary Transportation Team is committed to finding, mentoring, and growing the right individual. Our collaborative team approach is integral to our success. We are:
- Innovative – we are known for our creative approach to problems and provide our clients with innovative, cost effective and award-winning solutions
- Adaptable – we pride ourselves in delivering a large range of infrastructure projects for multiple clients, geographic locations, and number of contributing disciplines or sub-consultants
- Collaborative – we work together as a team and support each other to get work done
- Continuously Improving – we are never satisfied with the status quo and are always looking for creative ways to improve and get the job done
A Little About You
Your cover letter must demonstrate:
- A listing of the major transportation projects you have been involved in
- Your approach to mentoring staff
- How you build and maintain relationships
Your resume should show us:
- Registered as a C.E.T. with ASET or as a P.Eng. with APEGA
- Minimum 10 years of relevant transportation infrastructure design experience with at least 5 years experience in Alberta
- Proficient in the application of TAC and AASHTO geometric design standards
- Leading or working in multidisciplinary team environments
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and Civil 3D as well as Microsoft business products and PDF software for drawing markups and comment tracking
Bonus points for:
- Prior consulting engineering experience
- Working knowledge of Infraworks, AutoTURN, ParkCAD, GuideSIGN Microstation, OpenRoads and/or SITEOPS
- Transportation design experience with The City of Calgary and/or Alberta Transportation, including design guidelines and approval processes
- Transportation design experience in all aspects of project delivery including planning, preliminary design, detailed design and tender preparation, and construction.
- Experience coordinating with other civil disciplines: traffic engineering, transportation bridges/structures, land development and municipal engineering.
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a P.L. Eng. with ASET, with transportation design in your scope of practice
A Little More About the Role
The ideal candidate has a client centric approach and can collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to address complex project problems and provide comprehensive project solutions. They will provide independent analysis, judgement and decision-making based on relevant engineering and scientific principles while working on or leading design teams and completing quality review of project deliverables.
- Working as part of a team to provide project design leadership, mentorship, peer and work reviews, design checks, and feedback on work prepared by others
- Provide constructability review of design drawings on a variety of rural and urban roadway projects
- Lead, collaborate and coordinate with other ISL disciplines and offices as well as sub-consultant teams on project deliverables
- Complete geometric design and related design tasks for a range of projects from conceptual design through planning, detailed design, and construction delivery
- Work in accordance with Quality Management processes, ensure technical quality of deliverables and schedule milestones are achieved
- Prepare tender / contract documents and project specifications using City of Calgary or Alberta Transportation templates
- Provide support during construction including construction inspections, design clarification, Third-party utility coordination, material testing and survey coordination
- Arranging and conducting CCC / FAC inspections and issuance of related certificates
- Responding to contractor’s RFIs; preparing and issuing Contemplated Change Notices, Change Orders, Change Directives and Field Instructions
- Quantity verification and review of contractor’s progress claims
- Organizing and chairing construction meetings as well as preparing and issuing of meeting minutes
- Preparation of daily, weekly, and monthly construction reports according to client requirements
- Supporting construction administration services, such as quantity take-off’s, cost estimates, tender documents, drawing revisions and field RFIs
- Preparation of record drawings and project closeout documents
- Prepare technical information for public presentation which meets the needs of both technical and non-technical audiences
- Continuous development through the participation in ongoing development and use of CAD technologies, applications, and standards, as well as expanding knowledge base and professional skills in these and other areas
To apply for this job please visit islengineering.com.