Website Halifax Regional Municipality
Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is inviting applications for the permanent, full-time position of Program Engineer, Road Safety & Transportation in Traffic Management with Transportation & Public Works. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
The Program Engineer, Road Safety and Transportation is responsible for the implementation and monitoring of measures associated with the Municipality’s annual road safety plan. The position also provides input into the review of development applications and multi-modal transportation projects and coordinates neighbourhood and other transportation related studies.
Education & Experience:
- A Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized university.
- Minimum five years’ experience in the field of traffic/transportation engineering, road safety, and transportation planning in a municipal/urban transportation environment.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in good standing with Engineers Nova Scotia.
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License and be prepared to use personal vehicle in accordance with the Local Travel Allowance Policy.
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities:
- High level of knowledge of traffic engineering, transportation management principles, road safety, statistical methods and analyses and budgeting;
- Highly proficient in transportation and traffic engineering including Transportation Association of Canada Geometric Design Guidelines, Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Canada, methods of preparing and reviewing Traffic Impact Studies;
- Moderate level of knowledge of provincial and municipal policies and regulations, including the Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Act, the Nova Scotia Public Highways Act, the HRM Municipal Service Systems Specifications, and applicable By-Laws;
- Moderate to high level of knowledge of roadway design, traffic signal design, underground services, subdivision design and site development layout, traffic operations, and pedestrian system and transit system design principles;
- Moderate level of understanding of regional planning documents, area Municipal Planning Strategies, Halifax Regional Municipality Subdivision By-laws, the Halifax Regional Council Administrative Order Number One (Rules of Council Procedure), the various predecessor municipal units’ Subdivision By-laws, and other applicable By Laws;
- General knowledge of municipal and provincial planning policies, The Municipal Government Act, Halifax Regional Municipality Charter.
- Proficient in Transportation related computer software such as Synchro/SimTraffic, HCS (Highway Capacity Software and SIDRA Intersection;
- Working knowledge of ESRI GIS systems (ArcInfo, ArcView, ArcMap, ArcIMS);
- Highly proficient in applications such as Microsoft Office Suite and Cityworks.
Competencies: Analytical Thinking, Communication, Customer Service, Organizational and Planning, Organizational Awareness, Teamwork and Cooperation, Valuing Diversity
Job Status: This is a permanent, full time position, Monday through Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm for 35 hours per week. The work location is 21 Mount Hope Avenue, Dartmouth. This is a non-union position with a salary range of $71,410 – 107,110, commensurate with education and experience.
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be accepted up to 11:59pm on Thursday, May 6, 2021.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruiter when invited to the assessment process.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
For a more detailed description and to apply for this position please go to our website: http://www.halifax.ca/employment/index.php