Website Halifax Regional Municipality
The Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is inviting applications for the permanent position of Transportation Engineer with Transportation and Public Works. We encourage applications from African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Reporting to the Senior Traffic Operations Engineer, the Transportation Engineer is responsible for undertaking activities that support the planning, implementation and monitoring of projects associated with the Municipality’s annual road safety plan, traffic calming program and general operation of the transportation network. The work includes researching project background, establishing preliminary design parameters and alternatives, preparing preliminary engineering designs and specifications, project management activities, coordinating with various internal departments and providing preliminary project costs. The position is also responsible for providing support and input into various projects and studies that impact the transportation network including, but not limited to, multi-modal and active transportation projects, development applications and other transportation related studies.
Education & Experience:
- A Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized university;
- Five years experience in the field of traffic/transportation engineering, municipal engineering, road safety, and transportation planning in a municipal/urban transportation environment;
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in good standing with Engineers Nova Scotia (or eligible for registration);
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License and be prepared to use personal vehicle in accordance with the Local Travel Allowance Policy.
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities:
- Highly proficient in transportation and traffic engineering including Transportation Association of Canada Geometric Design Guidelines, Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Canada, methods of preparing and reviewing Traffic Impact Studies;
- Moderate to high level of proficiency in roadway design, traffic signal design, underground services, traffic operations and pedestrian system and transit system design principles;
- Moderate to high level of knowledge of traffic engineering, transportation management principles, road safety, statistical methods and analyses and budgeting;
- Moderate proficiency in design related computer software such as AutoCAD, Civil 3D, etc.;
- Moderate level of proficiency in estimating quantities of materials, unit costs and total costs for roadway infrastructure projects;
- Moderate level of knowledge of provincial and municipal policies and regulations, including the HRM Municipal Service Systems Specifications and applicably By-Laws;
- Proficient in Transportation related computer software such as Synchro/SimTraffic, VISSIM / VISSUM and SIDRA Intersection considered an asset;
- Working knowledge of ESRI GIS systems (ArcInfo, ArcView, ArcMap, ArcIMS);
Highly proficient in applications such as Microsoft Office Suite and Cityworks.
JOB STATUS: This is a permanent, full time position, Monday to Friday for 35 hours per week. The work location is 21 Mount Hope Avenue, Dartmouth. This is a non-union position with a salary range of $71,410 – $107,110, commensurate with education and experience.
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be accepted up to 11:59pm on Sunday, May 16, 2021.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruiter when invited to the assessment process.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
For a more detailed description and to apply for this position please go to our website: http://www.halifax.ca/employment/index.php
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org