Website City of Vancouver
Senior Civil Engineer – Pavement Design and Asset Management
Requisition ID: 12637
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Senior Engineer, Pavement Design & Asset Management is a specialized position responsible for the piloting, assessment, development, promotion and design of flexible and rigid pavement design standards and details with a strong focus on supporting Greenest City initiatives such as storm water management practices through the use of permeable pavements, and the use of recycled material content in the design and rehabilitation of City roads. The position is responsible for the asset management (including inspection and long range planning) of pavements in the City.
The role will support the City’s efforts to be a leader in clean water, green buildings, access to nature in the urban environment, fostering a green economy and building a resilient city in the face of a changing climate.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages pavement asset inventory through specialized inspections, short, medium and long range rehabilitation/renewal and financial investment planning
- Develops, implements, and monitors quality control processes and procedures
- Participates in the development and sustainment of department and Citywide asset management policy, guidelines, and support tool development
- Ensures the use, sustainment, improvement of support systems to manage asset information
- Supervises a data specialist tasked with maintaining the asset registry and the development of an asset related analytics and dashboard information
- Acts as an Engineer of Record (EOR) for pavement structure design, and City pavement design standards.
- Oversees and advises on design projects involving consultants and external stakeholders
- Responsible for the piloting, promotion, training and quality assurance of pavements.
- Collaborating with industry leaders and developing industry best practices, executing pilot projects, developing training programs for both designers and constructors to ensure proper application or installation of pavements.
- Work cross functionally with other city departments such as the Sewer & Drainage Design Branch, Green Infrastructure and Sustainability Group to design infrastructure that effectively manages storm water within City right-of-way
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil, or Geo technical / Materials Engineering
- A minimum of 8 years’ of experience in pavement design or related experience involving a broad range of supervisory, operational and administrative responsibilities
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia
- Asset Management experience is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in pavement design and pavement evaluation reports and knowledge of pavement management, engineering and condition assessment
- Demonstrated knowledge of civil construction practices, local material suppliers, and material testing QC/QA standards, procedures and methodologies
- Demonstrated abilities in the following areas will be considered as asset: branch and program budget planning, infrastructure planning, standards and service levels; asset lifecycle management best practices; development of asset management policies and practices; project management; and performance measurement
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience developing and managing consultant contracts (including scopes of work, requests for proposals and contract execution), developing budgets for infrastructure capital works and forecasting operational and maintenance needs for capital works
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills to establish good working relationships and facilitate collaboration with internal and external stakeholder groups/partners
Experience using pavement software, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgement
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2019
Position End Date: February 2021
Please apply directly on our company website – https://jobs.vancouver.ca/job/Vancouver-Civil-Engineer-II-Brit/528239400/
Application Close: January 21, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.vancouver.ca.