Requisition ID: 15957
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Senior Transportation Design Engineer will lead teams of designers, engagement and communication experts, and other staff to consult, design and assist in the delivery of complex transportation projects, primarily focused on City of Vancouver priorities – walking, cycling, and transit. Vancouver is a North American leader in active transportation and seeks to become a leader in transit design over the coming years.
The Senior Transportation Design Engineer will develop high-quality designs while advancing internal and external stakeholder engagement, often simultaneously. The position will also help develop and implement engagement strategies and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and troubleshoot issues as they arise.
We are looking for an individual with broad expertise in complete street and transit improvements and who possesses strong experience leading complex transportation design projects.
Reporting to the Branch Manager of Transportation Design, the Senior Transportation Design Engineer will work with the Design Review Team, Transportation Branch Heads, Communications and Engagement Staff, and Project Managers to develop designs and facilitate delivery of transportation projects. The position will also work cross-functionally with other CoV departments, such as Parks, REFM, Supply Chain Management and external stakeholders.
- Leads a team of designers (technicians and junior engineers) to develop world-class transportation designs, with a focus on implementing complete street and/or transit designs
- Responsible for hiring and managing team members, managing work assignment, authorizing absences, coaching, mentoring, training and development, evaluating performance and discipline up to and including termination
- Provides expertise and apply best practice and knowledge on a wide range of transportation design issues, including how to implement protected bike lanes, protected intersections, pedestrian-focused designs, transit priority, and safety interventions
- Works with project managers to develop, monitor and manage project work plans (scope, budget, schedule, quality, risk, resources)
- Works with other internal design teams (water, sewer, utilities, streets, etc.) to coordinate integrated designs
- Build on established partnerships and/or develop partnerships with internal and external stakeholders necessary to successfully deliver on project objectives, ensuring that stakeholders are identified, engaged, informed and given opportunities to shape project details as applicable
- Prepares terms of reference for technical consulting services related to transportation design, analysis, and construction
- Contract administration and management of technical consultants retained to support the planning, design and analysis of transportation designs
- Coordinate and manage departmental review process for transportation design drawings, identifying and resolving issues as required with minimal guidance from senior management.
Represent the City in public engagement processes, including attendance at weekend and evening meetings and workshops
- Prepare and make presentations to Council and Committees of the Whole, and advisory committees to Council
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and a minimum of five years’ demonstrated success leading effective team and managing complex transportation projects
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia is required
- Experience with transportation design, active transportation, transit design projects or a related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organizational and time management skills including a demonstrated ability to manage high profile projects and set/meet competing deadlines.
Demonstrated ability to take on a leadership role and is proactive at resolving project conflicts in a timely and effective manner
- Strong knowledge of transportation design, including design of protected bike lanes, protected intersections, pedestrian design, transit design, and safety improvements
- Familiarity with the City’s transportation network, design priorities and guidelines, as well as international design guidelines and practices
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage project and program budgets
- Proven ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships with the public, outside agencies and other employees while respecting the sensitivities and trade-offs of decisions
- Proven ability to influence others while respecting the sensitive and political challenges that impact decisions
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate, engage and mentor staff
Understanding of diversity and inclusion in the workplace, and the importance of intersectionally in transportation projects
- Experience with the municipal development approvals process is an asset
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: March 2020
Application Close: February 21, 2020
Please submit your application to directly to https://jobs.vancouver.ca/job/Vancouver-Senior-Transportation-Design-Engineer-Brit/626923300/.
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org