Website City of Toronto
Work for the City You Love
Traffic Planning Technologist
Job Classification Title TRAFFIC PLANNING TECHNOLOGIST
Requisition # 2297895 X
Division Transportation Services
Section Traffic Planning & Right of Way Management
Work Location ETOBICOKE CIVIC CENTRE, 399 THE WEST MALL
Job Stream Engineering
Job Type Temporary, Full-Time
Temporary Duration 3.0 Months
Salary/Rate $40.35 – $44.21 / Hour
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday, 35 Hours Per Week
Wage Grade 13
Affiliation L79 Full-time
Job Code (PSG) TF0336
Number of Positions Open 1
Posting Date 09-Feb-2018
Expiry date 24-Feb-2018
· Reviews and analyzes planning applications, e.g. zoning by-law amendments, site plan control, plan of subdivision, Committee of Adjustment, etc., to ensure that required transportation facilities and infrastructure have been identified, and recommends alterations to proposals from a transportation safety, efficiency and adequacy perspective
· Ensures that development proposals can accommodate parking and loading by coordinating their requirements during the development review process
· Conducts site visits or field investigations to develop recommendations regarding safety and efficiency improvements on roads and development sites
· Liaises with other sections in Transportation Services, other City divisions, Agencies/Boards/Commissions, external stakeholders and other government agencies in the context of performing development application reviews
· Prepares, reviews, analyzes and formulates comments on Transportation Impact Studies
· Conducts studies and prepares reports pertaining to development and redevelopment proposals
· Represents the Division on transportation or planning studies being conducted by developers or the City
· Attends meetings with members of the public, developers and their agents, Councillors and other City staff to represent the Traffic Planning Section
· Responds to enquiries from the public, City staff, members of Council, interest groups and government agencies regarding development applications, policies, by-laws, procedures and related legislation
· Provides input to Servicing Agreements for securing Transportation requirements
· Resolves compliance issues related to developments
· Uses computer software programs to carry out data input, and statistical analysis and to summarize results
· Prepares written correspondence on behalf of the Transportation Services Division in response to circulated planning applications, development proposals and Committee of Adjustment applications
· Reviews requests for permanent road closures and road alterations under the Municipal Act and Municipal Class Environmental Assessment, respectively
Performs other related duties as assigned
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
1. Degree, diploma or certificate in engineering, planning, environmental studies or a related discipline, supplemented by special training or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Extensive experience in working with computer applications related to transportation planning and highway/intersection capacity analysis such as: Synchro/SimTraffic.
3. Experience with applying the fundamentals of intersection capacity analysis, and the processes involved in preparing a site access/transportation impact and parking demand study.
Possession of a valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence and access to a motor vehicle.
You must also have:
Knowledge of the municipal planning and development review process, zoning by-laws and the Highway Traffic Act.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Ability to work extended hours, when required, and to perform traffic surveys.
Ability to deal with elected officials, the public and staff in a tactful and courteous manner.
Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Ability to organize, plan and carry out tasks to meet deadlines.
Familiarity with Ontario Statutes, including Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Traffic Planning Technologist within our Transportation Services Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2297895 X, by February 24, 2018.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City’s hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.toronto.ca/jobs →