Website City of Toronto
Job ID: 16504
Job Category: Engineering & Technical
Division & Section: Transportation Services, Policy & Innovation
Work Location: 703 Don Mills Road
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Permanent Vacancy
Hourly Rate and Wage Grade: $39.52 – $43.28, TF0318, WG 12
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Affiliation: L79 Full-time
Number of Positions Open: 2
Posting Period: August 16, 2021 to September 14, 2021
Transportation Services is seeking two Engineering Technologist Technicians (ETT1) to join the newly formed Data & Analytics Unit. The Data & Analytics Unit was established to be a hub for data analytics, data science, data collection and data management as part of the Policy & Innovation Section in Transportation Services. The Unit is comprised of three teams: Data Operations (Emerging Mobility), Data Science (Safety & Mobility) and Data Collection. The ETT1s will report to the Team Lead for Data Collection.
The ETT1 will be key member of the Data Collection team, assisting with the day-to-day operations of collecting transportation data, helping to coordinate and design data collection and analysis projects, conducting data analysis and quality control of collision and multi-modal volume data, and becoming a subject matter expert in key transportation datasets. The position will also require some field work to test, and validate counting equipment and to conduct contract management and validation activities. The Division’s data collection program sits at the core of all key technical engineering and planning activities in the Division including the Vision Zero Program, local Traffic Operations, ActiveTO, Vision Zero, the Cycling Network Plan, the Congestion Management Plan, and the Surface Transit Network Plan.
Transportation Services will be establishing a qualified candidate list for the Division to be considered for future positions within the Data & Analytics Unit.
- Responsible for the analysis, interpretation and distribution of various classes of transportation data (volume, collision, speed etc.).
- Prepares collision diagrams, flow maps, graphs, charts and statistical reports.
- Reviews and evaluates reports of traffic statistics and/or damage claims to city property.
- Collects, analyzes, evaluates and synthesizes data to uncover trends and insights to inform Division projects, policies and services.
- Conducts quality control checks and validation on collision, volume, speed and other transportation data.
- Conducts data analysis using a range of modern analytical techniques, tools and programming languages.
- Processes, cleans, and manages spatial data using GIS and spatial databases.
Data Collection Program Operations
- Conducts site visits to support various road safety and data collection projects and initiatives.
- Conducts site visits and collects data as required as part of the Vulnerable Road User Safety review process.
- Maintains inventory of all data collection and analysis requests in a timely manner.
- Manages traffic data requests from external clients including the processing of payments.
- Checks and provides progress/inspection reports on the work of contractors to ensure use of safety equipment, adherence to approved designs, contract terms, procedures, regulations, statutes, specifications etc.
- Plans, evaluates and conducts pilot studies to assess transportation data collection technologies, software, methodologies, data management and/or computer systems.
- Prepares training course materials and conducts training courses and demonstrations for users of core transportation data sources, GIS and traffic systems.
- Leads projects and directs staff on projects.
- Actively searches out opportunities for process automation and redesign through the use of programming languages and tools where required.
- Prepares presentations to stakeholders on transportation statistics using PowerPoint or any other relevant tools.
- Prepares tenders and administers contracts for the installation, construction and rehabilitation of data collection infrastructure to ensure contracts are carried out in accordance with City standards, specifications and procedures.
- Assists with the preparation of budget and tracking of expenditures.
- Investigates, assists and responds to inquiries from the public, politicians, contractors, other municipalities, businesses, 311, and City staff.
- Provides excellent customer service on data collection and analysis requests.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- University degree or a college diploma from a recognized institution in Civil or Transportation engineering, or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in engineering technology, specifically in transportation engineering, transportation planning, road safety, transportation data collection and data analysis.
- Experience utilizing MS Office software applications including MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Experience using Geographic Information System (GIS) software packages such as ArcGIS or QGIS.
- Experience in data analysis and interpretation of data using Python, R, SQL, Jupyter Notebooks, git or other equivalent tools.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” driver’s license and the ability to obtain a City’s Driver’s permit
You must also have:
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to resolve customer issues, conflicts and complaints in-person, by telephone and through written correspondence.
- Highly developed analytical skills and ability to make sound decisions using good judgement.
- Ability to write correspondence and reports in a clear, concise and legible manner.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to liaise with the public, contractors, and staff in other service areas.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a team setting.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, organize and carry out tasks to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Knowledge of core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/ self-management and accountability, and flexibility/ adaptability.
- Knowledge of relational databases would be an asset.
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City’s Internal Job Posting Portal.
Toronto is home to more than 2.9 million people whose diversity and experiences make this great city Canada’s leading economic engine and one of the world’s most diverse and livable cities. As the fourth largest city in North America, Toronto is a global leader in technology, finance, film, music, culture, and innovation, and consistently places at the top of international rankings due to investments championed by its government, residents and businesses. For more information, visit jobs.toronto.ca or follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/CityTOjobs, on LinkedIn at Linkedin.com/company/city-of-toronto or on Facebook at Facebook.com/CityTOjobs.
How to Apply:
For more information on these and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at https://jobs.toronto.ca/jobsatcity/. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting Job ID 16504, by Tuesday, September 14, 2021.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
The City of Toronto is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Please click on the link to learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.