Website City of Richmond Hill
Posting Id 1240
Department Planning and Infrastructure Department
Division Infrastructure Planning and Development Engineering
Rate of Pay $96,611.00 -$112,062.00 Annual
Job Type Full Time
Replacement/New Position New Hire
Posting Type Internal and External
Posting Date 01/14/2022
Application Deadline 01/28/2022
Reporting to the Manager, Transportation, the Transportation Engineer is primarily responsible for the review of transportation, parking and noise studies, transportation designs submitted in support of development applications submitted to the City. The Transportation Engineer will serve as an expert witness at OLT (formerly LPAT/OMB) hearings.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Review transportation, parking and noise studies, transportation designs submitted in support of development applications.
- Review and comment on road configuration, functional design and alignment plans submitted as part of the subdivision and other development applications to determine adherence to standards and guidelines
- Make comments and recommendations regarding transportation improvements and mitigation measures required to approve the developments.
- Prepare for and appear at Ontario Land Tribunal mediations or hearings as an expert witness on traffic and parking study matters
- Undertake functional design studies which assess the road improvement requirements, costs and feasibility.
- Provide input to the parking, transportation, and traffic operational and safety studies undertaken by the City
- Review the design and operation of the traffic signal control system to optimize and maximize capacity at intersections and accesses
- Review of traffic signal control plans submitted by public road authorities, developers and stakeholders.
- Conduct Environmental Assessment studies and liaise with external public agencies and stakeholders for transportation improvements
- Provide input to develop transportation policies, by-laws, and standards
- Liaise with the public, developers, consultants, members of Council, other departments, and external public agencies in the investigation of transportation issues
- Make presentations at Council or public meetings, and write staff reports
Education and Experience
- Degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation Planning/Design, or related discipline
- P. Eng is required
- Membership in a recognized association (i.e. Institute of Transportation Engineers) is required
- 5 years of professional experience in the field of transportation/traffic planning operations and design
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and traffic engineering software
- Possess strong knowledge of Highway Capacity Manual, Synchro, TAC, OPSD, Municipal Act, Highway Traffic Act, Ontario Traffic Manual, geometric design guidelines, PHM-125, and Municipal and Provisional Standards
- Strong understanding of the local development applications process
- Experience as an expert witness at Local Planning Appeal Tribunal mediations or hearings
- Understanding of Class Environmental Assessment process for municipal transportation facilities
- Experience with transportation planning studies, practices and standards, and transportation modeling
- Experience in procurement process such as preparation of RFP is an asset
- Negotiation skills
- Formal report writing skills
- Must possess a valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License, and have access to a vehicle for use on corporate business (mileage compensated) and will be required to provide proof of vehicle insurance upon hire.
- Demonstrates good judgment and makes sound decisions
- Shows commitment to personal growth, development, and leadership opportunities
Shares new ideas and challenges the status quo
Proven written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with honesty, openness, respect, and trust
- Takes initiative to participate in a culture of learning, mentoring, and sharing
- Contributes to building and being a part of a positive culture
- Demonstrate the City’s corporate values of care, collaboration, courage and service
- Demonstrates personal leadership
- Builds people and culture
- Cultivates open communication
- Shapes the future
- Navigates and leads through complexity and change
Attention Internal Candidates: All current City of Richmond Hill employees are required to apply via the ‘View Jobs for Current Employees’ link on the City’s Careers Page.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The City of Richmond Hill is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.
Please note, to be considered for a career opportunity at the City of Richmond Hill you must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada (or the World Health Organization). You may also be required to receive any COVID-19 boosters recommended by public health authorities. The City of Richmond Hill will consider cases requiring accommodation as stipulated by relevant employment standards legislation or regulation and/or the Ontario Human Rights Code.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.richmondhill.ca.