Website City of Hamilton
Chief Road Official
Full-time, temporary position (up to 24 months) – Hamilton, ON
A big-picture thinker equally recognized for your results orientation and commitment to continuous improvement, you welcome the opportunity to join the City of Hamilton and use a “best practices” approach to develop and deliver quality services while creating a workplace culture that prioritizes people and performance.
Reporting to the General Manager of Public Works, you’ll be accountable for the operation, control and management of the entire Transportation Network within the City of Hamilton. Acting as the Municipal Road Authority on behalf of the municipality and asset owner, you’ll provide advice and champion the long-term strategies, principles and direction approved by City Council for managing the Transportation Network.
Your collaborative leadership skills will prove invaluable in this executive role, as you work with and through others to deliver a comprehensive approach to designing, building, operating and maintaining Hamilton’s roads, while engaging all stakeholders and asset owners from across the organization on the evolution of managing the municipal Right of Way cohesively. An integral part of your mandate as Chief Road Official will be to establish and enforce Roadway standards City-wide to meet mandated goals and objectives, along with providing guidance and support to ensure that approved standards are being met.
Your qualifications as Chief Road Official include:
- First consideration will be given to those candidates with a post-secondary education in an Engineering-related discipline, with specialty in Roads, and Transportation Engineering and Operations.
- Extensive senior management experience, preferably in a municipal environment.
- Progressively responsible experience in the application of engineering theories, practices and trends to manage large contracts and projects, including reviewing, approving and implementing work plans and project budgets.
- Highly developed analytical and business planning skills, with a proven track record for long-term visioning and big-picture thinking.
- Highly developed ability to articulate a vision, to lead and inspire others.
- A demonstrated record of strong leadership and guidance, team advocacy, staff delegation, empowerment and development, and results orientation.
- Demonstrated experience to effectively manage a large multi-disciplinary team of technical and professional staff, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated financial management skills in developing, implementing and monitoring operational and capital budgets.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and delivering customer-focused programs and services.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of statutes, regulations and by-laws affecting the Department/Section.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to deal effectively with staff, management, elected officials and the public, and demonstrated facilitation skills in order to build consensus.
- Proven ability to write clear, concise reports.
- Knowledge of the collective bargaining process.
- A working knowledge of computer software applications such as Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
This temporary, full-time position offers a wage range of $78.597 to $100.621 per hour (based on a 35-hour work week schedule).
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities – home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged, empowered employees. Help us #BeTheReason the entire country is talking about Hamilton, and achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on this Chief Road Official position, JOB ID #17222, and to apply online, by Wednesday, April 21, 2021.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit www.hamilton.ca.