Website City of Edmonton
Senior Engineer – Traffic Safety
Job Number: 36223
As a senior member of the Traffic Safety Section reporting to the Technical Specialist-Road Safety Engineering, you will be responsible for providing technical expertise and management of road safety programs, projects and initiatives for the Traffic Safety Section of City Operations Branch including developing innovative and evidence based safety strategies aimed at achieving the goals identified in the City’s Road Safety Strategy and the Vision Zero Initiative.
The Senior Traffic Safety Engineer will:
– Conduct Road Safety and Safe Systems Audits on various transportation projects
– Manage Traffic Safety Engineering capital programs and coordinate road safety improvement programs and initiatives with other departments
– Identify and implement safety programs related to school traffic safety and pedestrian safety
– Review roadway design plans for capital programs and provide comments from a road safety perspective
– Develop Guidelines for the implementation of traffic safety improvements and evaluate the implemented improvements by conducting appropriate before-and-after studies
– Work with functional groups within the Parks and Roads Services department and other stakeholder groups to implement the road safety programs
– Respond to public and council inquiries related to traffic safety issues
– Provide direction and mentoring for engineers and others interacts with the Road Safety Section
– Civil Engineering Degree with coursework in road safety engineering, transportation engineering/planning, and project management
– P.Eng designation
– Professional Engineer with APEGA
– Thorough understanding of Safe Systems engineering principles and applications
– Minimum of 7 years progressive professional engineering experience in road safety engineering, traffic engineering/operations/management
– Expertise in traffic engineering, geometric design, traffic signals, pedestrian crossing controls
– Thorough Knowledge of Alberta Traffic Safety Act, Manual of Traffic Control devices of Canada, TAC Geometric Design Guidelines
– Strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills
– Experience managing staff and external consultants
– Applicants may be tested
At the City of Edmonton – Parks & Roads Services, the long-term success of serving our citizens is implemented by the actions of exceptional leaders who exemplify our Cultural Commitments of being Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent. As a leader in our branch, your role will be to inspire and cultivate our vision and cultural commitments while championing continuous improvement in your area of responsibility.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Up to 1 temporary full-time position lasting up to 18 months
Hours of Work: 36.90 hours per week
Salary: $87,573 – $125,105 (Annually)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: AY/MZ
Classification Title : PE3 – Civil Engineer
Posting Date : Apr 24, 2019
Closing Date: May 22, 2019 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to) : 1 – Temporary Full-time
Union : Management
Department : Parks and Roads Services
Work Location(s) : 16th Floor Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue Edmonton T5J 0J4
Link to apply: https://recruitment.edmonton.ca/job/CITYA000C5131/Senior-Engineer-Traffic-Safety
To apply for this job please visit recruitment.edmonton.ca.