Website City of Cambridge
People, Place, Prosperity
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Transportation Engineering Technologist to join the Engineering Transportation Services Division team, Community Development Department available immediately. The focus of this position will be to:
What you will be doing
- Review of planning and development applications such as official plan amendments, zoning bylaw amendments, committee of adjustment applications, site plan applications, and plans of subdivision from a transportation perspective including review of Transportation Impact Studies
- Manage the annual pavement marking program and sign contract
- Review and respond to traffic and parking related requests and inquiries including response to members of the public, Council, City Staff and other agencies
- Review, approval and inspection of traffic control measures and devices for compliance with approved plans, design standards, and specifications
- Analyze the need and appropriateness of speed management and traffic calming initiatives including recommending candidate locations, and managing implementation where required
- Prepare reports and recommendations to Council for approval/direction and/or bylaw endorsement
- Represent the Transportation Division at various meetings and committees
- Assist and provide input in the development of policies, practices and procedures within the division
Undergraduate Level -Three years or equivalent in Transportation Engineering
Experience and Knowledge
Five (5) years’ experience with an advanced understanding of transportation engineering and planning concepts.
- Registration with the OACETT with a CET designation
- Knowledge of transportation/traffic related legislation, manuals, guides and best practices (Ontario Traffic Manual, TAC Manuals, Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Highway Traffic Act , Environmental Assessment Act)
- Solid knowledge of computer programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe including knowledge of computer software and techniques applicable to the areas of transportation engineering/planning or project coordination and administration.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with a strong emphasis on customer service.
- Good collaboration, organizational, problem solving and record-keeping skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Basic knowledge of contracts, construction practices, and engineering drawings as it relates to transportation projects.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” drivers licence in good standing
We are looking for these certificates
- Certified Engineering Technologist (CET)
We will ask you for these items if you are hired
- Proof of your current and valid certificate(s) and/or educational qualifications.
- Valid G driver’s license.
- Worker Health and Safety Awareness Training Certificate from the Ministry of Labour
This position is within Grade 11 of the inside workers union Salary Schedule and has an annual salary range of $80,993 to $86,080 (2021 rates). We offer a comprehensive benefit package and are an Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) employer.
Hours of work
The current regular hours of work are in accordance with the collective agreement, however currently are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 pm.
Advertisement expiration date
This position closes on September 14, 2021.
Accommodation needs and protection of privacy
The City of Cambridge is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals, and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the recruitment and hiring process.
Please contact Human Resources to make your needs known in advance, with the nature of any accommodations that you may require in respect to any materials or processes used to ensure your full and equal participation throughout the recruitment and hiring process.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only.