Website City of Calgary
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
Transportation Development Services, within Transportation is seeking skilled and motivated individuals who aspire to work on exciting, city-shaping initiatives. As a Development Engineer, you will be responsible for representing Transportation at the Corporate Planning Applications Group (CPAG).
Primary duties include:
- Review and provide professional transportation or municipal engineering judgment on complex applications, including: area structure plans and area redevelopment plans; land use applications; outline plan applications; development permits; road closures; subdivision applications and detailed design construction drawings reviews.
- Provide subject matter expertise input into corporate decisions on various applications.
- Represent Transportation at the Calgary Planning Commission (CPC) and the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB).
- Attend community and public meetings and open houses as required for applications.
- Lead or participate in special projects that require engineering evaluation and response.
- A degree in Civil Engineering and current licensure as a Professional Engineer with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), or licensure by the first day of work.
- At least 4 years of post-professional transportation planning and engineering design experience.
- Experience with software (for example: Computer-aided design (CAD) and Traffic simulation software (VISSIM, Synchro)) is considered an asset.
- Development industry experience, working and negotiating with developers, stakeholders and interest groups, as well as presenting to legislative and political bodies is considered an asset.
- Experience in construction and contract management is also considered an asset.
- Demonstrate effective communication and presentation skills, project management skills and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances in a high-pressure environment.
- Success in this position requires: strong analytical, business planning and organizational effectiveness skills; the ability to lead and coordinate the various strategic objectives of the CPAG business processes and be a link into the Transportation department and The City.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Union: Exempt Engineer
Business Unit: Transportation Planning
Position Type: 2 Permanent
Location: 800 Macleod Trail S.E.
Compensation: Level E $85,682 – 129,370 per annum
Days of Work: This position works a 5 day
work week with one day off in a 3 week cycle.
Hours of work: Standard 35 hour work week
Apply By: April 1, 2021
Amendment: Closing date:
Job ID #:303805
We value diversity of expertise, talent and opinion which creates an innovative and collaborative environment.
We are committed to a respectful and inclusive workplace and welcome applications from all qualified individuals.