- This event has passed.
ITE Manitoba Luncheon: CITE Updates & Calgary’s Pedestrian Strategy
February 16, 2017 @ 11:30 am - 12:45 pm
Jen Malzer is the current CITE President and Pedestrian Planner for the City of Calgary. She is a two-time graduate from the University of Manitoba where she studied heavy trucking before falling in love with walking, cycling and transit. Jen is a 20-year commuter cyclist and spent four years teaching the Transit City course at the University of Calgary. Some of her projects at the City of Calgary include the SW BRT concept study, North Central LRT corridor study and downtown subway review. Jen’s not afraid of a little public engagement and is currently leading the development of Calgary’s tactical urbanism program.
- Exciting Upcoming CITE Activities & Directions
- Getting Started on Calgary’s Pedestrian Strategy
Calgary’s first pedestrian strategy was approved in 2016 and includes 49 actions to help make Calgary safer, more comfortable and interesting for walking. The strategy, called StepForward, is built on the concerns and opportunities for improvement, shared through public engagement by thousands of Calgarians. It helps direct the many existing programs by the City and our outside partners, while also identifying new priority areas. This presentation will give an overview of early initiatives including a street lab party that featured community built temporary pedestrian, biking (hay bale cycle tracks!) and placemaking to launch Calgary into its tactical urbanism program.
- Date: Thursday, February 16, 2017
- Time: 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Location: Room E2-150 EITC (Engineering and Information Technology Complex, University of Manitoba)
- Cost: $15.00 for Members and Friends, Free for Students
- Reserved Parking: $10.00 (Purchase through ITE Manitoba Eventbrite page link below, limit of 12 spaces – all in the parkade attached to University Centre)
o If you purchase reserved parking:
- Take a ticket at the parkade entrance when you arrive.
- Park in the stalls reserved for the event (further details to follow)
- See an ITE Executive member at the luncheon for a voucher.
- Use your ticket with the voucher upon exiting the parkade.
o Should you require reserved parking please try to carpool with other attendees from your office if possible.
- Online Registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/february-2017-ite-manitoba-luncheon-tickets-31513188796
Additional Important Information:
- UofM Campus Map: http://umanitoba.ca/maps/
- Transit Information: http://winnipegtransit.com/en
- The UofM is served directly from downtown by Rapid Transit routes that run in the midday (160, 161, 185) as well as numerous other routes (36, 51, 60, 72, 75, 76, 78, 162)
- UofM Parking Map: http://umanitoba.ca/campus/parking/media/Parking_Map_Web.pdf