This document intends to focus attention on the operation and maintenance of traffic signal systems – an activity that can produce one of the highest benefit-cost ratios for improvement to the highway transportation system. The purpose of the2008 Canadian National Traffic Signal Report Card is to:
- assess the current state of traffic signal management and operation;
- identify deficiencies in traffic signal systems and highlight ways to improve operation;
- improve awareness of the current state of traffic signal systems in Canada;
- create awareness of the congestion-reducing benefits of good traffic signal management and operation; and
- provide a benchmarking tool for jurisdictions to identify opportunities for improvement in traffic signal management and operation.