Gene Chartier, M.A.Sc., P.Eng., FITE
Gene Chartier is Vice-President of Paradigm Transportation Solutions Limited in Toronto. A graduate of the University of Waterloo with Bachelor and Master of Applied Science Degrees in Civil Engineering and an option in Management Sciences, Gene is a professional engineer with over 26 years of experience in transportation, civil engineering and urban planning. Prior to entering consulting in 2010, Mr. Chartier held progressively responsible positions with three municipalities in the Greater Toronto Area.
A partner of Paradigm, Gene is responsible for delivering technical, project management and quality control services on a broad range of transportation planning and traffic engineering assignments for the firm’s public and private sector clients. His work includes transportation master plans, class environmental assessments, sustainable transportation studies, and integrated land use and transportation corridor plans. He also has experience in conducting parking studies, traffic operations and safety reviews involving urban and rural roads, and municipal road design and construction projects. Over his career, Gene has contributed to several significant national guideline documents, including the first and second editions of the Canadian Guide to Traffic Calming, the Canadian Roundabout Design Guide and Promoting Sustainable Transportation Through Site Design.
Since joining ITE as a student member in 1989, Gene has served in elected and volunteer positions at the student chapter, section, district and international levels of the organization, and received several awards, including:
- Canadian District Director, ITE International Board of Direction (2016-present)
- Local Arrangements Committee Chair and CITE Executive Liaison, Joint ITE/CITE 2017 Annual Meeting and Exhibit (Toronto) (2015-2017)
- Recipient of the CITE Stan Teply Outstanding Technical Project Award (2015)
- Past President and Executive Committee Member, CITE (2005-2011)
- CITE Executive Liaison, 2014 Joint CITE/OTC Annual Meeting (Waterloo Region) (2012-2014)
- Event Coordinator, CITE Collegiate Traffic Bowl (2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014)
- CITE Executive Liaison, 2011 CITE Annual Meeting (Halifax) (2009-2011)
- Recipient of inaugural CITE Volunteer Recognition Award (2004)
- Project Manager and Steering Committee Chair, CITE Promoting Sustainable Transportation Through Site Design Project (2003-2005), which received TAC’s Sustainable Urban Transportation Award in 2004
- Executive Member, ITE International Pedestrian & Bicycle (2002-2005) and Public Agencies Councils (2002-2005)
- Local Arrangements Committee Member, 1998 ITE International Annual Meeting (Toronto) (1996-1998)
- Steering Committee Member, Joint TAC/CITE Canadian Guide to Traffic Calming Project (1995-1998)
- Past President and Executive Member, ITE Toronto Section (1993-1999)
- Recipient of the CITE Student Paper Award (1993)
- Recipient of the CITE John Vardon Memorial Scholarship (1991)
- Student Chapter President, University of Waterloo (1990-1992)
- Authored/presented papers and/or moderated at 12 CITE and 7 ITE International Annual Meetings, and authored numerous articles for CITE Transportation Talk and ITE Journal
Gene has also served as Course Coordinator for the Ontario Good Roads Association Intersection Design Course (2002-2017) and on the Transportation Research Board Access Management Committee (2001-2005). He is a former member of the American and Canadian Public Works Associations and the Ontario Municipal Engineers’ Association.